Richard E. Gottlieb is a partner in the Chicago and Los Angeles offices of Manatt, Phelps &
Phillips, LLP. He counsels and defends banks, mortgage lenders, servicers, auto finance companies,
retailers, insurers and other entities in a wide variety of matters, including the defense of both
individual and putative class action suits alleging false or deceptive practices and statutory consumer lending
violations, the defense of enforcement matters brought by state and federal agencies, and in
providing regulatory and compliance advice. Prior to joining Manatt, Mr. Gottlieb was a partner at a
financial services boutique firm, where he headed the firm’s west coast litigation practice and later opened
and built the firm’s Chicago office.
A recognized national leader in the field of financial services, he has been listed in Chambers USA’s
Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance Litigation (Nationwide) category since its inception.
Mr. Gottlieb is a frequent lecturer on financial services, privacy, fair lending, class actions and
trial practice matters, and has been interviewed on programs such as NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and
National Public Radio’s All Things Considered. Among many other writings, Richard is lead editor
and co-author of a leading desk reference in the field of consumer financial services law, PLI’s Consumer Financial
Services Answer Book, published annually by the Practising Law Institute.
- Fellow, American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Board of Governors, Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- Member, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Mortgage Bankers Association
- Member, Illinois Mortgage Bankers Association