Manny Newburger received his B.A. in history from Trinity University in 1980 and his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law in 1983. In addition to practicing in his firm's Austin office, he is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Texas School of Law, where he teaches consumer protection law, and he is the President of Fair Debt Consultants, LLC. Mr. Newburger is the principal author of M. Newburger and B. Barron, Fair Debt Collection Practices: Federal and State Laws and Regulations (Sheshunoff & Pratt) and the three previous versions of that treatise, and a contributing author to Texas Collection Manual – Third Edition (State Bar of Texas 2000), Manual of Credit and Commercial Laws (National Association of Credit Management), and The Practice of Consumer Law (National Consumer Law Center) (Chapter 13).
Mr. Newburger has been licensed to practice law in the State of Texas since November, 1983, and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fifth, Seventh, and Ninth Circuits, all United States District Courts for the State of Texas, and the United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, and the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin. He has been certified as a specialist in Consumer and Commercial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and he has repeatedly been recognized by the publishers of Texas Monthly and Law and Politics as a Texas Super Lawyer.
- Past Chair of the Consumer Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Past Chair of the Texas State Bar’s Advisory Commission on board certification in consumer law
- Past Chair of the Consumer Law Exam Commission
- Past Chair of the Commercial Law League of America, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Committee
- 1999 Recipient of the State Bar of Texas’ Frank J. Scurlock award for legal services to the poor
- 2006 Recipient of the J. Chrys Dougherty Award from Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas.
- 2005 Recipient of the Don Kramer Award from the National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys
- 2008 Recipient of the Commercial Law League of America’s President’s Cup.